Welcome, Visitor Number

Translate

12 December 2014

Post 155: JAMES SCOTT'S 'CLIMAX RAG'

Many bands have Climax Rag in their repertoire. I'm pleased about this because it's a good old number by James Scott from as long ago as 1914; and it's good to see the best of the old tunes being kept alive. It's a romping tune and not too difficult to play.

doubt whether the version played by traditional jazz bands today is totally as written (no doubt basically for piano) by Mr. Scott all those years ago. Traditional jazz bands have passed on a version which has evolved over the generations. It is normally performed with an Introduction followed by two 16-bar themes in Concert F, and then the main 16-bar theme in Bb.

For my private amusement I worked out my own mini-filofax lead sheet of Climax Rag for me to play on the Bb cornet.