Welcome, Visitor Number

Translate

7 March 2015

Post 182: 'THAT'S ALL THERE IS! THERE AIN'T NO MORE!; AND THE GREAT HARRY WOODS

I guess that the song That's All There Is! There Ain't No More used to be popular with traditional jazz bands wishing to end their concert in a rousing but definitive way. I've made my own leadsheet of it. To my ear it seems to go like this.
If I'm right, it's a great one to play: taking it fairly fast, you can make it sound exciting and the a-a-b-a  structure with simple chord pattern lends itself easily to improvisation.

I think the tune was composed in 1925 by the great Harry (Henry MacGregor) Woods, who was also responsible for The Clouds Will Soon Roll By, I Wish't I Was in Peoria, I'm Looking Over a Four-Leaf Clover, Paddlin' Madeleine Home, River Stay Away From My Door, Side By Side, Try a Little Tenderness, We Just Couldn't Say Goodbye, When the Red Red Robin, When The Moon Comes Over the Mountain and When Somebody Thinks You're Wonderful.

What a CV!

What a phenomenal contribution he made to popular music and the repertoire of traditional jazz bands!

Harry lived from 1896 until 1970. He worked mainly in New York. What you may not know is that - from birth - the unfortunate chap had no fingers on his left hand.