Welcome, Visitor Number

Translate

8 May 2015

Post 205: 'JAMAICA MARCH'

I came across a tune called 'Jamaica March'. It was new to me.
It was on a recording made about fifty years ago by the Chris Barber Band.

I liked it because is is bright, bouncy and simple (just sixteen bars on a very basic chord structure). It seemed a very good tune for trad jazz bands to play, though I am not aware of any bands playing it these days.

I spent some time trying to get hold of the printed music for it. But with no luck. I haven't even been able to find out who composed it, or when.

So if I wanted to learn it, I had no other option than to make my own lead sheet for Jamaica March, picking it out by ear. I did this to the best of my limited ability. As always with my collection of tunes, I entered it into one of my mini filofaxes.