Welcome, Visitor Number

Translate

15 February 2014

Post 125: ONE TO A PART IN MUSIC - SOMETHING SPECIAL?

I have been interested for about thirty years in small music groups. I attend chamber music concerts wherever I can; and I play the cornet in a small traditional jazz group. Even though it's just a hobby I have taken up in my retirement, it's great fun having a go.

Chamber musicians and jazz musicians have much in common. They play one to a part and their music does not attract mass audiences.

They take pride in being miniaturists. They like music played acoustically. It is easier to appreciate details. The noise level is bearable. They better appreciate the drama of the music’s dialogue. Delicate textures are more apparent. The individual players - playing just one to a part - are more free to express themselves. Agreed?