Welcome, Visitor Number

Translate

11 December 2015

Post 330: JANE AUSTEN AND JAZZ

18 July 2017 will be the 200th anniversary of the death of Jane Austen.

I received this entertaining e-mail from a correspondent who was relaxing on holiday when he sent it:

     I offer you a sentence from page 33 of my current light-reading thriller, as it made me smile, and seems to juxtapose a couple of your areas of interest quite neatly:-

   It may be possible to do without dancing entirely, as Jane Austen once wrote, but she clearly never came to New Orleans.

     Whether the rest of the book will be in the same vein, I don't yet know.

    The thriller, which may well be run-of-the-mill, is called Hell or High Water, and is set in post-Katrina New Orleans. I'm not very far into it, but my wife tells me it's got lots of N O 'atmosphere', in the sense of architecture, food, street life, natural environment, 'youth' stuff (well, professionals in their 20's , if that's 'youth'). There you go. Written by Joy Castro (and features a 1st-person Cuban detective heroine).