Welcome, Visitor Number

Translate

17 January 2016

Post 369: 'I'M BLUE AND LONESOME (NOBODY CARES FOR ME)'

I am fond of the song I'm Blue and Lonesome (Nobody Cares For Me), which was composed and recorded in 1938 by the singer Georgia White and her pianist partner Richard Jones.

Why do I like it? Because it has an unusual and interesting structure. It uses familiar chords but in a refreshing way And it has a good melody.

It is a tune of 24 bars - an unusual length for a song chorus. The first 16 are 'standard' and give the feeling that they will lead into a similar second sixteen. They even end, typically, with the chords II7 | II7 | V7 | V7. But then, instead of going into a further 16 bars, the tune is rounded off with just 8 bars, of which the last four reprise the first four of the tune. I make no claim for 100 accuracy with my version, but I have done my best. I have put it into the key of C to suit my own playing:
I like the 4-bar memorable theme that occurs in Bars 1- 4, 5-8 and again at 21-24. I like the climb up through the arpeggio of II7 (D7 in my example) that occurs in Bars 13-14.

Georgia White recorded the song in Bb:
CLICK HERE.
Erika Lewis of Tuba Skinny took it down to G to suit her voice:
CLICK HERE.